Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Fiddleheads

photo credit:Farmer's Almanac website. Link below.
I think I should start charging admission for people to take a ride in my mind somedays.. I know there is medication or treatment for this adult attention, squirrel kind of thinking, the struggle is real, but that would be far to linear for me I'm afraid and a little boring to say the least. So, fiddleheads it is!

We begin. :)

When I woke up at 5:45 this morning with our sweet spirited, farm girl pup pawing at my head, nose butting my eyeballs and flossing her razor teeth with my hair, "fiddleheads" was the first thing that ran through my mind. I have no idea why, except maybe my internal forager or Mother Earth internal time clock rang a bell somewhere in my still half asleep mind.


Blue sky, suns out, 37 degrees that's supposed to warm to the mid 50's by mid day.. a perfect day for fiddle heading.. Thank you Miss Willow for allowing me that extra 30 minutes of rest before our 10,000 plus step day begins, because I think I'm up for the challenge and really would love to get out of this one acre sequestered space for the day! Bonus... Matt is off too!

In the northern parts of Maine the ice is just out of the lakes and the rivers are surging with crazy levels of water. Fiddleheads up in that area are ready more so toward Memorial Day, but down here it's prime time, but the question is... where are they? That's the fun part!


Foraging for food, herbs, mushrooms and the like is a treasure hunting kind of hike that can only bring positive vibes to any given day in my book. Especially now, before the bugs kick in and these lower temps are perfect for them to not be obnoxious on a day like this. I'm in!

After picking dandelion greens the other day and making my pesto I was set in motion. I started planting some seeds, created a new rock garden with hubby, planted a few seedlings that could stand the cooler nights, so understandably my mind is hopping to the "next spring thing". Which of course is... fiddleheads. Anyone who does this type of thing would agree. I think. lol

Not such a crazy thought after all.. a busy one, but not crazy. So off to the river today! The fishing of course will be an option, the pup will surely get wet and we might be having some fresh ostrich ferns for dinner!


Cheers~
Denice






No comments:

Post a Comment