Friday, March 9, 2018

Making Medicine

Over the last week I have been putting together the twelve tincture medicinals that have been extracting and steeping at home since the last full moon.. It takes about thirty days to create a medicinal tincture from fresh or dried herbs and I've begun creating my pharmacopeia apothecary! Say that outloud!! I love saying that and I am in love with this folk medicine process! What a humble blessing it is to take what most people would perceive as weeds and create a healing tea, tonic or tincture without any need for the box store pharmacy establishments. I am learning so much about this process and am taking my time of course because it is also a process of patience, wellness and mindfulness. Oooozing GRATITUDE for the journey I am on.

Next month I will begin my Herbalist Apprenticeship in Rockport, ME. Up until now I have been self directed mostly through curiosity and self discovery. I have used my own concoctions and shared them with most of my close family and friends, all with very positive results and encouragement.


My upcoming apprenticeship will allow me to work with some amazing healers and medicine makers and I'll receive the knowledge and confidence to make and administer herbal medicine as a clinician if I choose to go down that path in the future. It is an ever evolving process and with spring fast approaching I am beside myself with all of the foraging opportunities that are coming and I'll be able to follow the growing seasons, learning and creating the medicines that will complete my array of offerings full circle..

It'll take digging up dandelion greens to a whole other level! That one plant in all of it's parts; leaf, flower and root support the digestive system, urinary system and the pancreas. It is  cleansing agent for the kidneys, a diuretic and targets the microflora in the belly to aid digestion! Who knew right!! Our ancestors did that's who ~ Crazy!

Talk about a Spring Cleanse after a long winter.

 So as a tea, tincture or tonic... this annoying little plant in all its powerful glory is amazing. I think about how resilient they are and how hard they are to eradicate from the lawns that we covet so. Lol.. Maybe we're supposed to notice that. They are powerful and fight back! A clue perhaps from nature herself.


So any who... :) I made my medicine this week and hope to begin to add more of it to my daily routine. I brewed a growler full of Chaga Ginger & Nettle Tea during the storm and with a little honey it's amazing! Hubby is actually more partial to that now then coffee... and being a Die Hard coffee beast that he is, that says something.

Why?? You might ask is this even something that you are doing when it is so much easier to just go to Walmart... To that I say~ Exactly!!!

Have an amazing weekend~

Be Well & Peace To You Always,
Denice

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog to stumble across in my email this morning...looking forward to hearing more about this herbalist journey you are embarking on, sis. Keep on learning...you've stumbled across the secrets of good health! Nanny Freeman would be proud...she was the dandelion gatherer always ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb! I always think of Mom and Nanny when I gather the dandelions. Miss my bunnies too, they always loved the new leaves after a long winter. :)

    ReplyDelete